Origination of Sudarshan Kriya

One of the 1st batch conducted by Gurudev, where Sudarshan Kriya was taught, Shimoga, Karnataka.
Sudarshan Kriya: Shimoga, Karnataka
Banks of the Bhadra river in Shimoga(Karnataka), India

Bhadra river: Shimoga, Karnataka

In 2003-04, Gurudev revisited Shimoga, the place where He got enlightened. Below are some of His timeless conversations.

Q: Gurudev, How do you feel to be coming here(Shimoga) after 21 years?

Sri Sri: I don’t feel like I ever left this place. I used to sit facing the river and now I’m facing you.

Q: What was your experience here(Shimoga) ?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: Shimoga, KarnatakaSri Sri: You know when I came here 21 years back. I had already travelled around the world. I taught Yoga, Asanas, Meditation. But still I was concerned about how to make people live a happy life. After being in silence for 10 days,Knowledge of Sudarshan Kriya came to me. Nature knows what to give and when to give.When we started that time, the course used to begin early in the morning and would go till 10:30-11 PM. So some people would not turn up the next day. The rest would go and bring them back. I would keep silent and everybody would also keep silent. Then people started having beautiful experiences from the 2nd day. Our first course was here (Shimoga). Over a period of time I felt that this was a little too much for some people and so we split the course into Basic and Advance course. When I first came here 21 years back we were 70 of us here and now how many are we ?. ( there were thousands of people in the satsang ! )

Q: I know it is important for me to be here with you. But I have a little conflict as it takes me away from my family. Could you comment?

Sri Sri: You know when you are here and when you go deep and get rid of all the stresses, you are also helping your family out there. The good vibration that you produce in your system doesn’t just stay with you. Don’t think that your silence course is only benefiting you. You are being in silence, you are meditating - some of it goes to your family members as well. You may have noticed, some times you sit for mediation and nothing happens to you. And most of the meditation you know, the benefits of those meditations are going to people who have crossed the other side. So when you have to clear your debts you find balance not going up. Because debt is being cleared. So many times it happens.

There is an old saying “when you meditate the effect of it reaches to seven generations of the past and seven generations of the future.” So the genes with which you are connected u know affects all those seven generations the past and the future. That is a very common saying in India. People know it. So a portion of our meditation, merits of our meditation goes to our near and dear ones. So you don’t have to have a conflict. And when you are at home doing your job, don’t think it is not spiritual. It is also my job. If you are taking care of your family know that it is not just your family it is Gurudev's family also. So the whole world belongs to me and every body is a part of my family. So if you are taking care of your family you should know you are doing a seva, a work which is a part of AOL. And when you are here, you should know whatever you are doing you are also helping your kith and kin.Where is the conflict?